Album review: Lady Gaga "The Fame Monster"


Lady Gaga fascinates me. She has grown from what many initially perceived as a short-term pop star to the epitome of what a singer of pop should be. I was once a naysayer, thought of her as obnoxious, and lashed out at her - particularly at "Love Game" for being such a shallow song (though that's still the least listenable Gaga track in my opinion). But then "Paparazzi" grasped my attention and this 8-song released had me bowing down. I hope Gaga can forgive me for under-looking her ability to create and be a masterpiece.

In The Fame Monster she presents these fears in a conceptual format where each song represents a topic of fear (sex, death, addiction, etc.) almost as a paranoia adaptation to the seven deadly sins. With an exception to “Speechless,” each song is packaged within a broody, gothic techno-medley of sorts – some ironically uplifting, some haunting – to represent this mental turmoil between the soul and its outside enemies. Although drenched in some level of darkness, they are all equally danceable – but isn’t that sad that we’re dancing through the sound waves of her personal struggles?

Click here to read the rest of the review. This was published in ACRN.com on December 2, 2009.
Photo provided by Interscope records

No comments:

Post a Comment